Anyway back to the point of this blog posting which is to explain my findings and understandings on the learning potential of a wiki. One issue I had with this weeks activity in setting up the wiki was the scaffolding seemed very broad and was not very specific as to what content was needed in our wiki. I could now ramble on about all the issues (and the wonderful thing) I encountered while using the wiki in boring essay format, or use some of the wonderful analytical tools we have learnt about this week. (I choose to do the later!!)
A SWOT analysis will help lay out my findings on my wiki experience:
Strengths
|
Weaknesses
|
|
Opportunities
|
Threats
|
It is extremely important to ensure that when working in a wiki are students are working safely , ethically and legally. When using Wiki's with my learners it is my responsibility to teach my students the correct behaviours in respect to ethics and legallacy. Even as a primary teacher my students would need to learn how to link information the have posted into the wiki back to the original source. If implementing a wiki activity, one of my most important instructions would be explaining the importance of trust amongst students in the Wiki.
It is important as teachers to educate ourselves about the challenges and risk of using Wiki's in the classroom. Smart copying http://www.smartcopying.edu.au/scw/go is a website dedicated to educating people about copyright in all Australian schools. It gives as access to the National guidelines, FAQ's and Fact sheets that can be accessed online. The site also contains excellent information about creating ICT's and what is possible within the law.
Cyber smart http://www.cybersmart.gov.au/ is the Australian Governments Cyber Safety program providing. It provides “activities, resources and practical advice to help young kids, kids, teens and parents safely enjoy the online world.”.
Ethical safe and responsible practises when working with ICT’s along with operating efficiently and safely is also covered across every year juncture in the Student ICT Expectations Document. Click on this link for more information. http://education.qld.gov.au/smartclassrooms/strategy/dp/studentict.html
Wiki's illustrate that this is the future of education and the goal of producing digitally literate students is high on the agenda from an early age. We should however be educated about those risks and challenges and we should also educate our students about how and why they should take these issues seriously.
At all times we should model ethical and legal guidelines to our students and encourage them to do the same. The opportunities ICT’s in eLearning can provide far outweigh the risks, and it is my opinion that those risks can be dealt with through information and education.
In comparison to my first wiki experience the setting up of my wiki this week was a tad more difficult. I believe the main reason for my difficultly this week was the lack of scaffolding around the design of the Wiki. Only when reading the least question posed to us in Engagement Activity 3 which ask us 'to consider in our reflection that it is not just you, but more importantly your students, who will be working in the wiki space' was I able to figure what was and was not appropriate for my Wiki space.
With this new insight, I went back to my SWOT analysis and looked over the opportunities I could create in my Wiki for my students. Then I was able to edit (a great strength of the wiki) and put some of the great learning opportunities into my Wiki.
References
Education Queensland. (2011)
Student ICT expectations. Smart
classrooms. Department of Education
and
Training. Retrieved from http://education.qld.gov.au/smartclassrooms/strategy/dp/studentict.html
Smartcopying. (2008) The official guide to copyright issues for
Australian schools
Cybersmart (2009) Australian
Communications and Media Authority. Commonwealth of Australia. Retrieved
from http://www.cybersmart.gov.au/
from http://www.cybersmart.gov.au/
Hi Amy, I have read each of your reflections on the wiki, blog and website. Even though last week I wasn't too keen on the wiki, I have found this week that I actually like it. As you mentioned one of the potential drawbacks is that students can delete each others work. I agree that can be a drawback but then again it does have the history function which will be able to trace that back. It may even help to teach students the value of backing up their work eg cut and paste if neccessary. I think though an opportunity that is created as a result of the drawback is that students need to learn to work as a team and build trust within their wiki group. I am still of the opinion that smaller groups would be best in most situations when using a wiki. Anyway I could go rambling on. You are welcome to have a look at my reflections anytime. Have fun!
ReplyDeletep.s. In order to help with the neglecting family problem I set up a wiki for my husband Scott. Now he is occupied embedding you-tube videos and setting up a fitness inspiration page as well. LOL.
ReplyDeleteDoesn't solve the mummy I am hungry problems though because now Scott is busy as well!
Hi Amy, I am just like you and need to be neat and organise my learning. Thought I would share with you that I have learnt how to use pages in my blog. When you press design you just go to pages and select new page. I am going to use this to organise my future reflections. I wanted to go back and reorganise my previous reflections but I think if I do I will lose my comments. I have a similar set-up in my wiki too.
ReplyDeleteHi Amy, I came across this wiki that lists wikis being used in education. You can check them out here: http://educationalwikis.wikispaces.com/Examples+of+educational+wikis
ReplyDeleteHello Amy,
ReplyDeleteWonderful reflection on the Wiki and especially the detail for safety. It seems not so many people have looked at it as carefully as you. Some wonderful links too which I am going to check out now so thanks. Good luck with the course. Mike